Short Answer: ASAP!
Long Answer: After a hair transplant, your body will be relying upon the platelets in your blood to heal the wounds from the donor area AND also the wounds where the hair was implanted. PRP is simply a solution of your body’s own PLATELETS in higher concerntration, therefore, receiving PRP treatments as soon as the day after a hair transplant will significantly boost and accelerate your bodies own natural healing process.
However, in the initial 45 days, some patients can experience significant inflammation in the area that has received the grafts. In the case where excessive redness, in-grown hairs, tenderness or swelling existed, the method of injecting the PRP needs to be carefully decided.
- Manually injecting the PRP is risky, because the doctor or nurse have no way of ensuring they are injecting at the correct depth. Also, injecting too much liquid could force your newly transplanted hairs to fall out (and once the follicle falls out you have lost the hair forever).
- Derma Needling the PRP is safer than manually injecting the PRP – however it isn’t as effective at ensuring the PRP reaches the follicle and deeper layers of the scalp/skin.
- Meso Injecting with a Meso-Gun – is the ONLY way PRP treatments are performed on patients who have previously received a hair transplant. Think of a meso-injector like a sewing machine. A sewing machine is far more accurate and faster than manually sewing. The same comparison applies to manually injecting your PRP or injecting it using a Meso-Injector. The Meso-injector is able to distribute the PRP more evenly resulting in less trauma to your skin = meaning less pain and discomfort.
The below is what we recommend for patients who have received a hair transplant and would like to accelerate the recovery and growth rate of the transplant;
- 1st PRP Treatment – ideally within 2 weeks of the hair transplant
- 2nd PRP Treatment – approx 1-2 weeks after the 1st treatment
- 3rd PRP Treatment – approx 2-3 weeks after the 2nd treatment
- 4th PRP Treatment – approx 3-4 weeks after the 3rd treatment
Almost 30% of all of our clients have recently received a hair transplant (either in Australia or Overseas). We have been working with patients who have received a hair transplant since 2012. Plus Scott Moore (founder of this company) was formerly the General Manager of Australia’s Premier Hair Transplant Clinic, and Scott has brought his knowledge and experience within the Hair Transplant industry with him to Great Directions.