About Hair Transplants:
A Hair Transplant is a medical procedure that harvests genetically resistant hair follicles from one area of the body, and transplants them (moves them) to another area of the body. It is only medical treatment that is proven to grow more new hair. There are two hair transplant techniques.
• FUT, FUG or FUSS – also known as – Follicular Unit Transfer Hair Transplant Surgery
• FUE – also known as – Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant Surgery
How Hair Transplants work?
• Patients with androgenetic alopecia (aka hereditary hair loss or genetic hair loss) experience hair loss to the top, crown & frontal hair line areas of the scalp, however not to the hairs on the sides & back of the head.
• This is because these in the hair loss regions are genetically prone to weaken when they come into contact with DHT.
• DHT is known as the hair loss hormone.
• The hair loss gene needs to be present for DHT cause hair loss, without the balding gene DHT will not impact your hair follicles.
• DHT does not impact the hair’s on the sides or the back of the scalp. Therefore the hair follicles on the sides & back of the scalp are known to be permanent to the effects of DHT.
• Hair Transplantation surgically sources these genetically resistant hair follicles and MOVES them to the area’s where a patient wants them.
• The hair follicle is MOVED, meaning it will no longer grow a hair from its original location.
• Once MOVED, the hair follicle will commence growing new hair.
• Hair Transplants are the #1 proven method to grow more new hair where you are no longer growing it.
• Transplanted hair is genetically RESISTANT to further genetic hair loss, therefore the transplanted grafts do not require daily drugs or daily lotions.
• When a hair is transplanted, a HAIR FOLLICLE is being MOVED, therefore a hair will no longer grow in the area where it was originally.
• A hair transplant does not CLONE or COPY hair – it moves it from one location to another.
• There is not an unlimited supply of hair for transplantation, therefore it is NOT possible to attain a full head of hair with a hair transplant
• A Hair Transplant will NOT treat thinning hair & promote it to regrow thicker & healthier
• A Hair Transplant will NOT help to slow or prevent further hair loss
• Some hair transplant clinics recommend a hair transplant to boost thinning or receding hair. At Great Directions, we do NOT recommend this approach at all! A transplant REPLACES the hair you have lost, it can NOT thicken thinning hair.