PRP Pre Treatment Recommendations: Get the most out of your PRP treatment!
PRP is made from a person’s own blood supply. Your blood contains the below 4 elements:
1. Red Blood Cells: these carry oxygen around the body.
2. White Blood Cells: these cells fight disease and infections.
3. Platelets: these cells are used to repair cells that have becoming injured.
4. Plasma: this is the fluid component of your blood, it carries all the vitamins, amino acids, proteins and nutrients throughout your body.
PRP stands for Platelet Rich Plasma. PRP is a concentration of a person’s own Platelets (which your body relies upon to heal & repair cells that have become injured) and also Plasma (which carries nutrients throughout your body). For a PRP treatment to be effective, it is essential that the patient consumes nutrient RICH food/drinks prior to each PRP treatment. Patients that follow our PRP Pre treatment recommendationss, are more likely to experience BETTER and FASTER results from their PRP Treatment.
Things to avoid 2 days prior to your PRP Treatment
Certain foods offer BETTER nutrients than others. Based on our extensive history in offering PRP treatments, patients who comply with ALL of the below points achieve SIGNIFICANTLY better results than the results of patients who do not OR only partially follow the below.
Eliminating the following for at least 2 days prior to your treatment (eg. The day prior and the day of the treatment – is the minimum requirement!)
- Avoid Bread (all types) replace with Rolled Oats
- Avoid Pasta (all types) replace with Sweet Potato
- Avoid Rice (all types) replace with Quinoa or mashed Sweet Potato
- Avoid Noodles (all types) replace with Sweet Potato
- Avoid Breakfast Cereals unless it is Rolled Oats.
- Avoid Pastries, Pies, Bakery Foods replace with a piece of fruit.
- Avoid Cheese and Cream Dishes
- Avoid Fatty Meats Minced Meat, Sausages, Kebab Meat, Fried Meats and replace with Lean Beef, Lean Pork, Chicken or Fresh Fish. It is ok to cook your meat in ¼ tea spoon of oil when grilling or pan frying.
- Avoid Curries (all types) and replace with stir fry meals that have less than 1/4 teaspoon of oil per person.
- Avoid Fried Food and replace it with grilled or oven roasted alternatives.
- Avoid Juices unless the juice is made fresh by yourself. Pre-bottled juices contain preservatives which are chemical additives and they will negatively impact your PRP. Remember, juices are NOT a substitute for eating the entire piece of fruit.
Avoid Soft Drinks + Sugary Drinks and replace with fresh water with fresh lemon or lime. Decaffeinated tea and coffee is an acceptable option but is not a substitute for your daily fresh water intake.
- Avoid Caffeine remember caffeine appears in soft drinks, pre-workout gym supplements, tea, coffee and also chocolate. Replace with Acetyl L Carnitine to minimise caffeine withdrawals.
- Avoid Alcohol this is a mandatory requirement.
- Avoid Exercise (especially on the day of the treatment! But ideally for 2 days prior to each PRP treatment), A solid walk is ok, however a solid run/spin class/aerobics class would not. Pilates and Yoga would be acceptable, but lifting moderate-to-heavy weights would not be recommended at all.
- Avoid Sickness and illness: If within 2 days of your scheduled PRP treatment, you start to experience any type of infection, sickness or illness, we ask that you report it to Great Directions as soon as the symptoms appear. Being ill or fighting any illness/sickness or disease will alter the quality of your blood negatively, and this may result in a your treatment becoming less effective.
- Avoid All Smoking Related Activities.
- Avoid Alcohol this is a mandatory requirement.
- Avoid Caffeine, remember that caffeine is found in chocolate, some soft drinks, pre-workout gym supplements, tea, coffee and weight loss protein powders.
- Avoid Fish Oil, Anti-Inflammatory Medication (such as Nurofen, Advil and Ibuprofen) for at least 2 days prior as they may inhibit/restrict the strength of your platelets. ***However if you have been prescribed any medication such as anti-inflammatories or anti-coagulation medication (aka aspirin or warfarin), please contact our office and/or your prescribing doctor prior to altering anything
Complying with ALL of the below points will SIGNIFICANTLY impact the results that you experience from your PRP treatments.
Consume the following for at least 2 days prior to your treatment (eg. The day prior and the day of the treatment – is the minimum requirement!) Patients who do not follow these recommendations may be asked to reschedule their treatment for another day if they have followed all of the recommendations listed on this page.
To ensure your blood’s plasma is nutrient rich, we ask all patients to consume a MINIMUM of 3 x cups of fruit for a MINIMUM of 2 days prior to their PRP treatment. Some fruit offer MORE nutrients than others. Please see recommendations below: To ensure your blood’s plasma is nutrient rich, we ask all patients to consume a MINIMUM of 5 x cups of vegetables for a MINIMUM of 2 days prior to their PRP treatment. Vegetables that we would prefer you to eat include:
To ensure your blood’s plasma is nutrient rich, we ask all patients to consume a MINIMUM of 3 x cups of fruit for a MINIMUM of 2 days prior to their PRP treatment. Some fruit offer MORE nutrients than others. Please see recommendations below:
To ensure your blood’s plasma is nutrient rich, we ask all patients to consume a MINIMUM of 5 x cups of vegetables for a MINIMUM of 2 days prior to their PRP treatment. Vegetables that we would prefer you to eat include:
On The Day Of Your Treatment Recommendations
Complying with ALL of the below points will impact the quality of your PRP treatment and is recommended to maximise patient comfort and satisfaction.
Important Information To Remember:
- A hat or cap to wear after the treatment. Ideally one that can be adjusted at the back. Beanies, Scarfs are also acceptable options. We suggest to avoid anything that is white.
- Ensure you are able to consume the MINIMUM nutritional requirements of 3 x approved cups of fruit PLUS 5 x approved cups of vegetables PLUS 1Litre of water for every 30kg of body weight (refer to detailed instructions above). Patients who DO NOT follow the DO’s and DON’Ts contained on this webpage, may be asked to reschedule their treatment to allow them to prepare themselves BETTER than what they presented with for today’s treatment.
- Please note juices are not an acceptable substitute for consuming the entire piece of fruit
- After the treatment, we require that patients DO NOT wash the treated area for at least 6-8hrs (or ideally until the next morning). Because PRP is made from your own blood, patients that wish to return to work THE SAME DAY are advised to plan to return to work AFTER they have washed the treated area (after leaving it alone for at least 6-8hrs!). Once the treated area has been washed with WARM water only (no shampoo or conditioner) = you can return to your normal working routine/schedule.
- Patient’s should avoid any exercise routines such as gym, weight lifting, jogging, cross trainers, exercise classes, swimming laps etc. Basically anything that would make you sweat should be avoided on the day of the treatment and also for 24hrs after the treatment has been performed.
- Each treatment requires 60-75mins. Therefore, if you are driving, please park your car to allow for 75mins from the time we commence your treatment. It is NOT permitted for patients to leave the clinic once the treatment has commenced or at any other stage of the treatment.
- Please plan to be on time (or possibly 5mins early) for your scheduled PRP treatment. In order to ensure we don’t inconvenience other patients, patients who are late for their treatment start time will have their local anaesthetic absorption time reduced proportionately. If patients arrive more than 15mins after their scheduled treatment time, unfortunately 15mins equals 25% of the treatment time and therefore it will be unsafe for us to perform your treatment. In this instance the patient can choose to pay $50 to reschedule the treatment (payable within 24hrs of the original treatment time) or forfeit the treatment credit that was pre-assigned to the treatment in the first place.
- Unfortunately, we do not offer any child care facilities nor pet minding facilities.
- Patients should arrive at our clinic with a clean scalp. Patients that wear hair fibres such as toppik nutjob or nanogen fibres are required to wash out the items PRIOR to attending for their PRP treatment. If patients arrive with hair fibres still on the scalp or an excessively dirty scalp (eg painters or plasterers or builders), then a head/scalp cleanse will be required to be performed at an additional cost of $30.
- If you been asked to provide the results from your recent or past blood test, please bring the copies with you or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org